The Stedelijk Museum Amsterdam, the largest museum of modern and contemporary art and design in the Netherlands is seeking someone to fill the position of curator for 36 hours per week. From the job listing:
This position is offered in order to strengthen the museum’s leading role in responding to contemporary developments and demands, situating contemporary design in wider socio- economic, artistic, and political contexts.
As curator, you will have a particular focus on applied arts & design. You will report to the chief curator and have the following responsibilities:
- Carrying out research (projects) to increase art historical knowledge of the collection;
- Ensuring a professional and academic presentation of the collection and its appropriate management, conservation, and acquisition. You will work together with specialist colleagues from other departments and from other institutions;
- Contributing to and creating permanent and temporary presentations that meet (academic) requirements and standards, but can also be understood by a contemporary public;
- Developing a vision for the collection for which you are responsible;
- Maintaining up-to-date professional skills by developing your expertise through research and professional exchanges;
- Being a contact person within the museum for specialist inquiries.
We are looking for a professional with a degree in art history and a specialisation in one of the applied arts fields. The successful candidate will support and help deliver the vision for the applied arts collection of the Stedelijk Museum Amsterdam in the light of contemporary artistic, institutional, and social developments in which boundaries are increasingly blurred. Hence, an affinity with other disciplines (such as architecture, visual arts, digital technology) is desired, as well as the ability to convert ideas of integration into practical proposals. Your network has an international character and includes art museums as well as non-creative sectors of industry and research. You will be able to demonstrate experience in curating exhibitions and publishing articles in the area of applied arts & design, and the potential ability to further develop the collection, exhibition programmes, and related public programmes. If Dutch is not your native language, your are expected to be able to master a working knowledge of the language within the first year of the assignment.
You will be offered a one-year contract, with the possibility to extend this contract into a permanent engagement if your ability and aptitude for the position has been satisfactorily demonstrated. The salary is based on the Stedelijk Museum’s standard labour agreement, professional grade 11 (min. € 3100,– , max. € 4165,– for full-time employment, 36 hours/week).
For further information about the position, please contact Bart van der Heide, chief curator at 020-5732632 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please send your application before September 7 with a CV (in Word or PDF file types) to the Human Resources department at email@example.com, addressed to the attention of Fieke Werner.